Monday, 30 March 2009

Urusei Yatsura - b-sides collection (1990s)

One of my favourite bands of the 1990s, these guys. Before they were ever a band, I used to get their fanzine, a mix of record reviews, comic strips and suchlike. They released a few compilation tapes (or maybe appeared, pre UY, on one of them - my memory's not what it was) and then formed the band.

Looking back through my vinyl, I have a lot of stuff from this band. The a-sides are presumably on one of their LPs (which I may upload when I get to them, or may not, depending on whether a check reveals if they're still going or not), but anyway.

FAKE EDIT: They split up, a while ago, it would seem, and are doing their own thing. And, an American label had pretty much this exact same idea and released the album "Pulpo!", a collection of b-sides. I'm fairly confident in saying it's out of print though. So, here's a good stack of their b-sides, enjoy and remember the days when Pavement-loving Scottish indie-noise-punk-pop bands were ten a penny.

FAKER EDIT: It appears you can still get most of these records from their official site. So, if you like this lot, please go and give them some money. They were (and, presumably, are) lovely people and deserve a few of your pounds. They've also put a couple of links to some BBC sessions up, so here are those links before the links to the things I ripped:

www.theplasticashtray.co.uk/forum/downloads/uy1.zip

www.theplasticashtray.co.uk/forum/downloads/uy2.zip

BEYOND A JOKE: At the back of another 7" single, I found something which I labelled as "Urusei Yatsura Tour 7". I met and chatted to the band after their first tour, where they had Mogwai as their support. Scratched on the runout is "Che 59"but as Che is no more, I've got no idea whatsoever what is on it. I'll pop that on there too.

http://sharebee.com/f3347c50

3 comments:

Rob said...

The Urusei tour 7" is a three-way split, one track each from Urusei, Backwater and Mogwai (an otherwise-unavailable demo of 'Summer'). It was given away to the first (50?) people through the door at each show on the May/June 1996 UK tour.

Urusei headlined, Mogwai supporting from 17th to 31st May, Backwater at the remaining dates, both Mogwai and Backwater at the final show (Garage, London, 14th June 1996)

http://www.youngteam.co.uk/brightlight/eng/gigs96.php

Tim Woulfe said...

Hey I'm writing an article on Urusei Yatsura for my zine because I live in America and they're basically unknown over there. This is greatly appreciated!!

Would you be able to send me some scans of their zine?

cara elliott said...

Any Chance of a re-up? thanks :)